Ed Golson Outdoor Education


How to Recycle in Bay City

So you say you live in Bay City and you have some trash, but you don't know the best way to get rid of it? You've come to the right place. For starters, our City has a great recycling program. You can use it to recycle paper, plastic, glass, and tin materials. To find out when the city collects these materials, you can go right to the .

For materials that can't be recycled and can't be put in with the normal trash, the Bay County Health Department sponsors a Household Hazardous Materials Collection Program a few times every year. During this collection, you can drop off all sorts of trash that isn't safe to put in normal trash: automotive products, cleaning products, paint products, gardening chemicals, and many other items. To learn more about the kinds of things they accept or to find out when and where they are holding the collections this year, call the Bay County Health Department at 989-895-4006.

Some materials can cause serious environmental damage if they are simply put out with the normal trash. Getting rid of these materials can be a little more complicated. Look through the following table to find out what to do with your trash.


Alternative way to Get rid of it


Recycle through Advanced Auto Parts, 4041 N Euclid, Bay City MI, 48706; (989)-667-5743

Automotive Batteries

Recycle through Interstate Batteries (989)-684-1382

Dry Cell Batteries

Recycle through Radio Shack or Battery Solutions, Inc (313)-467-9110; 38680 Michigan Avenue, Wayne, MI 48184

Compressed Gas Cylinders

Contact Michigan DNR at (989)-684-9141

Explosives & Ammunition

Contact local or state police department: BCSD (989)-895-4050 MI State Police (989)-684-2234

Latex Paints

Open lids and allow the paint to dry. Dispose of dry paint along the curbside.

Paint Products in good condition

Bay City Paint and Pride Program
Contact the Bay City Manager at (989)-894-8146

Liquid Wastes in Containers Greater than one gallon

Separate into approved single gallon containers. Unknown waste should be marked "Unknown" and disposed of a local Household Hazardous Waste Program

Motor Oils

Recycle through Advanced Auto Parts, 4041 N. Euclid, Bay City, MI 48706 (989)-667-5743

(Polychlorinated Biphenyls)

Contact Michigan DNR at (989)-684-9141

Smoke Detectors

Recycle through "Sears"

Scrap Tires

Contact Bay County Mosquito Control
at (989)-894-4555

Additional Questions About the Household Hazardous Waste Program

Contact Henry Nguyen at Dow Chemical

Yard wastes such as leaves and grass clippings may not be environmentally dangerous, but they still should not be thrown out with the trash. Instead, they should be turned into compost that is an inexpensive and environmentally friendly fertilizer. If you can, you should make your own compost in your backyard. If you can't, you can give it to the city and they will do it for you. You can then buy compost from the city to use in your garden. To find out the rules and schedules for getting rid of yard wastes, you can go to the bottom of the .

Source: The Bay County Health Department and the MI Department of Environmental Quality.

Back to Previous Page